Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Laughlin Half Marathon

This weekend I realized that eight hours is a long way to drive just to run 13.2 miles! What inspires people to do that anyway? My friend Dainon and I drove all day Friday to Laughlin Nevada and all the way back home on Sunday just for 2 hours (not our real time) of knee jarring race time. That's over 16 hours in the car in 3 days. We were starting to lose our senses by the last few hours prior to home. However, in spite of the severely uncomfortable effects of travel stomach, an embarrassingly poor race time, and a hotel room that came with already tested out soap and towels, I thoroughly enjoyed myself! All of the oddities of the weekend just provided us with more things to laugh at, and with 85 degree weather and a pool to enjoy, who cares if all you can hear are slot machines and pop music playing outside your door all night. :)

The camera is always a good entertainment tool. I kinda like this shot of me brushing my teeth in the mirror with my mouth wide open in the shape of an O. Dainon has a talent for snapping photos of me in my most flattering moments.




See Dainon run. Run Dainon Run! Run to the bathroom, Dainon. Run! Run! Run!


Now, those are some happy feet!

Post-race pic. We still have smiles on our faces!

It's hard for me to admit this, but Dainon convinced me to try a hamburger from In and Out. This is the first burger I've eaten from a fast-food joint since high school! I had a good chat with the manager before I ordered it though, and got her word that the meat was fresh from local farms and the cows were grain-fed. It was still weird to be standing around with the fast-food crowd waiting for my burger with no bun, wrapped in lettuce and no special sauce. You can kind of see the apprehension on my face in this picture. What's worse is that I really liked it, and the next day I went back for another one. Shhhh.....don't tell my raw food friends!


No comments: