Saturday, January 26, 2008

My 34th Birthday

I threw myself a birthday party this year. It was the first one ever. I'm usually out of town trying to escape the winter blues, and so my birthday doesn't get much attention.
This year I stayed home, and ya know, it actually turned out quite well.

I invited everyone up to my spec home that was just completed in Pleasant Grove. It's a huge million dollar home, and since I probably won't own it very long, I figured I may as well throw a party in it while I've got it.


I'd never made sushi before, but to my surprise, it really wasn't that difficult. Everyone made their own roll. Good thing there were left overs, because I forgot about breakfast the next morning!



See that scarf around my neck? It was made with loving hands by the lovely Heather Roberts.







I really, really really love this kitchen, and for the time being, it's mine....all mine!


Thoughtful Nicole made me a very special gluten free carrot cake. Everyone else had to eat chocolate cake with refined sugar and flour. Poor kids.


I thoroughly enjoyed the sushi party, and to make it even better, the partying didn't stop there. A few of us spent the night on foam mattresses and sleeping bags. For the next two days, we hybernated in the house, only going out to get food when necessary. Sometimes, we didn't even do that. This meal of bananas, edemame, popcorn and salsa kept us going strong for quite a while.

Sunday morning's activities included:


Yoga, or something like unto it,







Breakfast with left over sushi ingredients,




Conversation around the fireplace,








good, wholesome rapping,







and just plain being lazy.....all day long.



The next day we got snowed in and were trapped in a big house with fun friends watching videos, talking, laughing and eating. It was a rough three days, but together we made it through.
These are the troopers; the ones who stuck it out the entire 3 day weekend:







I adore both Emily and my D'Ogee. I'm not sure which one of them makes me happier, so I'm glad I got us all together.




I usually seem to connect with other red-heads. Don't know if it's just because there are so few of us or if there is something in our chemical makeup that draws us to one another, but Tanya is a red-head that speaks to me. Bonding with her this weekend was delightful.



As of this weekend, Matt is back in the picture as a romantic interest. I was hesitant to invite him to my party because we haven't seen each other since September, but in retrospect, I think it was a good move. We've seen each other every possible day since and so far seem to have a mutual interest. Emotions are so fickle, though. They can change at the drop of a hat, as I experienced with my first attempt to date him. Honestly, I'm keeping my guard up this time. Stay tuned for more drama.....

This is Keva saying a prayer over our last meal together: Papa Murphey's Kick-Ass Gourmet Vegetarian pizza. It was worth the stomach ache I received from eating it!

Super Dog!

He's so cooperative, he is...letting me do weird things to him and going along with it so passively. Look at that face. I'm confident he's enjoying this as much as I do. I know he was enjoying this:


It was kind of a surreal weekend. Leaving was like waking up from a good dream and stepping back into reality. It couldn't have been a more perfect way to turn 34, well, unless there was a beach involved, but I'll save that for another birthday.

No comments: