Saturday, July 26, 2008

Osmonds and Mo Tab

If you ever go to an event at the Conference Center, remember that it is always Sunday dress...or at least casual business attire, even if the event is a pop concert. Honestly, wouldn't you think that if you were going to see the Osmonds in concert, you would expect to see other people in jeans? Granted, they were performing with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, but still....it's a concert. I guess I looked like a heathen walking around the Conference Center in jeans because the sweet old lady sitting next to me started doing missionary work. She told me about the new temple in Twin Falls, Idaho, and how I could go in during the open house and see what the inside of a temple looks like. Strange. It's not like I was wearing holy jeans and smelled like beer or anything. Funny old lady. I just let it slide. At least she can feel like she reached out to some non-members that day.

So, the Osmonds and the Mo Tab, together at last. I never would have thought to get tickets for that, but a good friend of mine did, and she invited me to go. I agreed, mostly to spend time with her, but I have to admit, I found it quite enjoyable and nostalgic. Do you remember the Donnie and Marie Show? It was a part of my childhood. I loved it. I don't remember anything about the show other than I couldn't wait to drool over Donnie. He was so dreamy. :) He's considerably older now and not really my type, but my friend still had stars in her eyes.

All of the brothers and Marie were there singing their old classics and dancing with the same moves as they did in the 70's. Of course it was cheesy, but I felt myself being involuntarily drawn in as the night wore on. They're natural performers, what can I say? They even got the Mo Tab to bust out of their formal, conservative shell just a bit with some clapping and a little hip shaking....just a little, though. That made the whole evening worth it. I doubt I'll ever see the Mo Tab snapping and swaying or jamming to pop music again!

I've been on YouTube tonight looking up old videos of the Donnie and Marie Show. You should try it. It's kind of addictive. Of course, I wouldn't tell anyone that. Shhh.......

3 comments:

Joanna said...

I remember going to the Osmond concert at Ricks College when Jerry went to school there, remember that? Jerry even brought out a cake for Marie Osmond and had every one sing happy birthday to her. I thought Jerry was famous cuz he carried the cake. Funny how young minds work, huh?

Linda said...

Yes...I do remember the concert. It was my first ever. I don't remember the cake, though. That sounds more like something Marlo would do, in addition to throwing her arms around her and kissing her shoes. Good thing Marlo wasn't the one carrying the cake. :)

Yeehaw said...

Hey, I read this too you know! I also remember the concert, but not the cake. And FYI I've never thrown myself at a female preformer... I usually don't even go to women concerts, just for that reason... it's not fun throwing yourself at a woman I'd imagine. But I do wish I'd of known about this concert, Linda. I would have drove down for it! Next time?!