Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I feel slightly better tonight. Perhaps a two hour massage and an hour of boldering at the rock climbing gym have something to do with it. I certainly didn't start out on a good note. Poor Keva had to listen to me cursing all of the people who were making my life difficult this morning. Why couldn't they be just a little bit accomodating? I decided I better take my lap top and go work in a public place so I'd be less likely to rant and rave and call people idiots.

I'm finding a lot of pleasure in rock climbing this summer. It surprises me because when I tried it in college a few times it scared me to death. This year, however, I'm loving it. I find that when I am climbing, I am 100% completely present. My mind has to be so focused that I can't possibly think about anything else. It gives my mind a rest from all of the drama it enjoys creating.

My friend Rebekah went to Maple Canyon with me recently. We joined up with a few other people and spent the day in the most serene beauty. I've enjoyed climbing so much that I joined a rock climbing gym so that I could take a class and learn some technique. It's more like a private lesson since I'm the only one in the class. My teacher Beth is so nice and encouraging. Of course, she makes everything look so smooth and easy. She's very graceful. Not me, however. I walked out of the gym last week with blistered hands and chalked from head to toe. I was sweating so hard I felt like I'd been swimming. It'll take a while to get good at this, I can tell.

2 comments:

Yeehaw said...

Teach me. I need a place to focus all my thoughts on...
Hey, how'd the run go? I read Dainon's blog, but he didn't mention how YOU did.

Joanna said...

Glad you have an escape. My kids were driving me up a wall & I was considering running away (with Francine ofcourse) but I managed to send them all away for awhile. YESSSSS!!!!